Friday, April 08, 2005

Guys we come across

Ok, this is once again outta context!

Interviewd a guy with 3 yrs of software programming experience in the skills that we desire. From the earlier rounds of interviews taken by a colleague, the feedback was this guy was decent with basic fundamentals and very confident.

He'd quoted having worked on frameworks like Struts, Hibernate and Spring. As usual, I started off with digging into the internals of Struts, and caught the guy in a few mins.
The guy had superficial knowledge of Struts, which may be considered OK by others, for working on projects. I have this habit of testing the knowledge of how-things-work, in interviews or in conversations with my colleagues/team-mates. When we hire experienced guys, I insist that they really know how things work the way they work. So, it may sound very demanding, but I think it matters a lot when you're designing/developing anything new, maintaining existing code or debuggin a problem. These open source frameworks are a result of greate efforts by people in the open source community; a lot of thought has gone into developing these and making them robust and industry standard. There're definitely many design priniciples that one can learn from and use in their own work.

Thinking back, I think I did the right thing when I rejected the guy.

Will have to talk to my superior though, whether I shd be this insistant going further!

:)

1 Comments:

Blogger rvk said...

Hi Amol,

This is Vijay from MakeMyJob. Great insight here. Sure a person should be knowing in depth, before he says he has an experience in it.

Look forward to have a chat with you

12:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home